Guidance Bulletin 36
Warn, Inform, Direct! Placement of Temporary Road Signs
Ask yourself this question: “Will someone using the road or footway from any direction understand exactly what is happening and what is expected of them?”
If you are placing signs or have placed signs on the highway you must ensure they are set out in the correct order. When removing them from site you should also ensure that you take them down in reverse, so they serve their function right up to the point the site returns to normal use and traffic no longer poses a risk to you or others.
The Trilogy – WARN, INFORM, DIRECT
WARN - Road Works Ahead – This is the 1st sign to be set out and the last sign to be collected on completion of the works. It WARNS approaching traffic of a potential hazard.
INFORM – Road Narrows Left / Right – This is the 2nd sign in the set-out sequence and should be collected before the WARN sign. Other signs can be part of the INFORM set include Traffic Signals Ahead, Road Closed Ahead and Road Works End signs which are always placed after the Road Works Ahead sign.
DIRECT – Directional Arrows - Place ‘Keep left’ or ‘Keep right’ signs as appropriate at the beginning and end of the lead in taper. These signs DIRECT traffic to do something. Other DIRECT signs include When Red Lights Shows Wait Here, Stop & Go boards, Priority Signs, Diversion signs, any sign which provides a driver with an instruction.
- DO Carry out a Streetworks Site Specific Risk Assessment before setting out your signs to ensure they are placed to provide the best visibility to road users.
- DO Set out your signs in the right order WARN, INFORM, DIRECT (WID). This will ensure you and your site are visible to road users from the earliest point of set up.
- DO Take your signs down in the reverse order DIRECT, INFORM, WARN. This means road users will continue to be aware of the potential hazard up to the point when the site returns to normal use.
- DO check your site when you arrive to
- DON’T Start work without conducting a Streetworks Site Specific Risk Assessment.
- DON’T Set up your signs in any other order than WID
- DON’T Take down signs in any other order than DIRECT, INFORM, WARN
HAUC(UK) thanks Morrison Water Services in their help in the creation of this guidance.
IF YOU ARE IN ANY DOUBT, CONTACT YOUR SUPERVISOR FOR FURTHER ADVICE
DO HIGHWAYS THE RIGHTWAYS