Skip to main content

Sewers, drains and tunnels

An undertaker executing street works that involve breaking up or opening a sewer, drain or tunnel that is vested in or owned by another responsible authority must obtain the approval of that authority before executing the works.
In the case of a public sewer, “responsible authority” means the sewerage undertaker (i.e. the water service company for the relevant area).
In the case of any other sewer, drain or tunnel, the “responsible authority” means the owner (or the authority, body or person) responsible for the management or control of the sewer, drain or tunnel.
Where the responsible authority knows of the existence of sustainable drainage systems (SuDS) in areas likely to be affected by the undertaker’s work, they must inform the undertaker, so that an appropriate excavation and reinstatement method can be agreed.