You can use ‘give and take’ only when all of the following apply:
- the speed limit is 30 mph or less;
- the length of the works from first cone to last cone is 50 metres or less;
- drivers approaching from either direction can see 50 metres beyond the end of the works;
- two-way traffic flow is no more than 20 vehicles counted over 3 minutes (400 veh/h);
- no more than 20 heavy goods vehicles pass the works per hour; and
- parking near the works, especially in front and opposite is controlled/prohibited, unless visibility or lane width is unaffected.
The signing you will need is shown below.